With 2017 right around the corner, it is important to make resolutions that will improve your practice. Not only will you make your workplace a happier, healthier place for your patients, but you will improve your outlook and well-being, as well! Here are some suggestions for resolutions that will help kick off 2017 the right way.
1) Learn Something New. Whether it’s the latest research in Nephrology or healthy-eating tips for dialysis patients, everything you learn could potentially benefit your practice. If you’re always learning, you can help your colleagues when they need it and can better address patient needs.
2) Develop a Plan for MIPS. The Quality Payment Program combines the existing Medicare Meaningful Use (MU), Physician Quality Reporting System (PQRS), and Value-Based Modifier (VBM) programs into MIPS, starting with the CY2017 performance year. MIPS payment adjustments are applied to Medicare Part B payments two years after the performance year, with CY2019 being the payment adjustment year for the CY2017 performance year.
3) Develop a Plan for MACRA. MACRA makes three important changes to how Medicare pays health care providers who care for Medicare beneficiaries. The new law repeals the SGR formula as a mechanism for determining Medicare payments for physicians’ services, establishes two payment options beginning in 2019 and incentivizes practice transformation.
4) Finish Your Notes. You’re probably in a rush, dashing from patient to patient with no time in between. While that is admirable, you’ll benefit from setting aside some time between patients to finish writing their notes. That way, you can be better prepared the next time the patient walks through the door.
5) Be Considerate. Be sure to ask other providers if they need help. If you’re willing to help your colleagues out of a tough situation, they will be more likely to help you when you need it. Yes, you’re all incredibly busy, but being considerate of other doctors will enable you to work together as an effective medical team.
6) Learn ICD-10. The code set allows more than 14,400 different codes and permits the tracking of many new diagnoses. The WHO provides a set of materials online, such as an ICD-10 online browser, ICD-10 Training, ICD-10 online training, ICD-10 online training support, and study guide materials for download.
7) Don’t Eat Lunch at Your Desk. It’s easy to wish for a moment of silence throughout your busy day, and often lunch time provides that moment. However, to make your team the strongest, talk with your colleagues, get to know them and understand them, and you will find that the interaction is an important part of your day.
8) Take Care of Yourself. If you’re not keeping yourself healthy, how can you expect your patients to do the same? Serve as an important role model in your practice: eat healthy, sleep well, exercise, and reduce stress.
It’s important to set a clear plan as the New Year approaches. With goals in mind, you will be more successful and ready to face new challenges. Tower Physicians Solutions can help you prepare for 2017 by offering a FREE medical practice phone assessment. Start the New Year off right, call us today! 630.243.5731